The new version includes features such as:
- Parallel sequential scans, joins and aggregates
- Support for consistent, read-scaling clusters through multiple synchronous standbys and "remote_apply" synchronous commit.
- Full text search for phrases
- postgres_fdw can now execute sorts, joins, UPDATEs and DELETEs on the remote server
- Decreased autovacuum impact on big tables by avoiding "refreezing" old data.
More information at: PostgreSQL 9.6 Beta1 - annoucement
Other minor releases are out too, aiming mostly at fixing bugs.
More information at: minor updates - release notes